About

Here you can find all forums, blogs and similar sections, that are meant for different types of communication.

Banner Hide banner

Simbiat
Simbiat

Some people say that this movie is the best one from Tim Burton. Possible, since I do agree with notion, that he is somewhat overrated with his sense of style probably being a redeeming quality. But even considering other Burton's works I'd say this is not a good movie.

Or rather it is ok, if you watch it without thinking and take is a "fairy tale". From cinematography point of view, overall structure of the story, actors work, music - it is a very solid piece. It even reminds me of "The 10th Kingdom" in some way, although it's obviously much more "grounded" and less magical. The ending is especially touching, it would not surprise me if an average watcher would even cry a little bit. But if you think just a little bit harder...

The movie is essentially an "appreciation" of an absentee father, who is on a deathbed, and his son wants to learn "the real him", the real Edward. The son, Will, does learn through-out the movie, that some of the stories that his father told him were true, or at least partially true. And this is supposed to bring Will back to loving Ed. The movie does tell us, that Will does now love Ed, because of the very sweet gesture at the end.

But in reality, there is no conflict resolution. Yes, Ed was not lying about everything, and it was mostly exaggerations even rather than lies. Does that automatically make him a good father despite being an absentee? Of course not. Does the fact that he was saving a town while being away redeem him? No, at least, because there was no reason to hide that, and he could even bring his some with him.

Unless he was not saving the town, but one girl in particular. Ah, yes. Will, thought that there was an affair, and Jenny did deny it. But was that actually true? Because if there was no affair, why hide this relationship from the family? Would not Sandra and Will support him with helping people?

This makes me feel like the ending, no matter how sweet it is, was fake. Will got used to being lied to so much, that in the end he abandoned his own (half-hearted, if I am honest) quest for truth, and decided to lie, too. Not so much to his father, but to himself. If this kind of message makes a good film, I would rather not see any "good" movies.