About

Here you can find all forums, blogs and similar sections, that are meant for different types of communication.

Banner Hide banner

Simbiat
Simbiat

I like the colors here. Especially the use of violet in Hojo. This show seems to be something like a mix of Arslan Senki (which I dropped midway through, and not sure I remember why) and I would say Brave 10 or something similar. It looks vibrant at times, and then gritty at other times with the "priest" or whatever that guy is being somewhat ridiculous and annoying. Definitely giving it a chance.

Simbiat
Simbiat

Episode 2:

To be honest, I am liking it a bit less now. Faster pace and the type of humor that was present in the 1st episode were fine for 1st episode, they made sense from narrative perspective, but now... Pacing - maybe not as bad as it could be, but it would make sense to slow down just a little bit considering the events in the 1st episode. But instead it felt like we were forced to have a fight only to introduce 2 new characters. If they held back the fight to the very end so that the episode end in a cliffhanger, and the 2 new characters were introduced in 3rd episode - it probably would have been better.

But more than pacing, I am put off by the "humor" and the faces, which are used not only for the humor. The story suggests that it is at least somewhat serious and dark, and it could have a lot of potential as a darker story, if it was not for those humor scenes. They are too frequent, they often feel out of place, and are often over-the-top, as if it's a comedy show.

They are also using similarly styled faces outside of comedy, which brings a bit of dissonance to me. I understand that in those other scenes they want this style to work as a caricature, it makes sense, it can represent certain level of "depravity" I guess, and it could work. But the problem is that the style is so similar to how priest's face is drawn during comedy scenes, that I just can't see those faces as anything by "comic".

I thought, that I will give the show another chance, but while writing this I realized, that I won't. Unfortunately to me it ended up being more style than anything else. I mean the art looks really great, but it's not enough for me.