About

Here you can find all forums, blogs and similar sections, that are meant for different types of communication.

Banner Hide banner

Simbiat
Simbiat

I do not think I've posted about why the site is using name "Simbiat". Perhaps it's worth doing that, because the story behind it is quite funny.

I was a fan of Spider-Man. Still kind of am, I guess. I spend a lot of time (re)watching the animated TV show back in 90s, it's literally the show I grew up with and "on". I was also a fan of Spawn movie and early comics (even though that did not age as well), which BTW was inspired by the black suit from Spider-Man (and Todd McFarlane also had his own run in Spider-Man comics, too). I really liked the concept of this black suit, seemingly all-powerful, yet so "small" and "slick", while having its "dark side", which you have to fight/control.

So quite early in my childhood I've started playing with similar concept. I did not know about the thing being an alien species in Marvel Comics (not even sure if that was established as canon at the time), all I knew, that they were called "symbionts". Which is technically incorrect, since they are spelled "symbiotes", but I did not know that at the time. I just did not like the "n", since it did not make sense to me (because "symbiotic" does not have it), and "y", because... Why? "I" instead of "y" results in same thing and seem more harmonious in the word.

Thus I decided to change it to "simbiot", and use that as a name for the species or maybe not "species" per say but for entities of similar design. And for my stories I also needed something "special", and thus I randomly decided to change "o" into "a" for that special entity. I do not think I had any particular reason to, it just felt natural somehow. After that I started using as my nickname in quite a few places.

But here's the funny part: turned out that "Simbiat" is actually a real name. A girl's name. Often used in Muslim countries, and even more often used in African ones. I learnt that the hard way, because I started getting a lot of messages of specific content from young males from respective regions. Still am, but way less, perhaps because there is a link to a site with my photon on it.

While that was annoying, I decided not to change it. And not because of laziness. The meaning of the name is "brave woman" or sometimes "strong woman", and it somehow felt "right", even though I am a man. Call me a feminist, if you like, but there are women, that need to live and fight through a lot. My Besputha Tomkova character became an amalgamation of the struggles that I've seen, struggles that were shared with me by different women at different points in time.

"Besputha" is a special name, as well, practically a forgotten one due to Christianity spread in Slavic areas, including Russia and Ukraine (unclear where it was really used, but one of sources I found back in the day pointed to West of Russia and/or East of Ukraine). But it is more of a descriptive name for the (still unfinished) story for the character, while I wanted a services provided by me to be... More "strong" I guess? Something that I aspire to be, perhaps? I have no idea if I will be able to ever create any of the services, that I want to have on this website, but if I do, I think they will be going against the common mold, which does require some bravery.

So the name will probably say for a very long time, even if it could make sense to change it.